The Castle, St Andrews Street
Bar: Greene King
- GK carried out a major refurbishment in summer 2000, eliminating the dinginess.
It's now in bright yellow outside & in.
- With its many floors this has the potential to compete with the
circuit bars nearby
but the other floors don't seem to be in use.
- Prior to refurb.:
- Relatively expensive.
- Tended to have loud music.
- Very cliquey - the sort of place where the small number of patrons turn to stare as you enter.
- Was The Painted Waggon for some years (1970s/80s) whilst leased from
EMI Cinemas, which then had a pub chain of that name.
It had bars on five floors and was famous for fights between squaddies.
- Together with the Regal & Picturehouse Cinema next door, these occupy the site of medieval Castle Hotel (a.k.a. Ye Olde Castel),
burnt down in the mid-1930s.
| Ian's home page